Tips for Requesting Freebies
There are huge benefits to getting freebies. Since you are requesting them online, you will always be required to enter a valid email address. We share our tips and tricks of how we request freebies below.
- Setup a new email address for all your online requests. Gmail and Yahoo offer free email accounts and it takes just a few minutes to setup. This will help you avoid having your regular email consumed with new offers or spam.
- Do not give out your real phone number unless it is required for verification or delivery purposes. We suggest getting a free phone number through Google Voice. You can set the number to forward to your real number or go directly to voice mail to avoid any unwanted calls.
- If you are not comfortable using your real name, use an alias (we use our dogs name). A plus to using an alternate name is you will always be able to tell which items in your mailbox arrived through a freebie offer you signed up for.
- Never share personal information like your social security number or birth date. This information is not relevant to requesting a freebie. If a site requires a dob, you can always put in a generic birth date. If a site requires a SSN, run.
- Only request freebies that are 100% free. Offers that require payment for S&H are not “Free”. Also "Trial" offers may give away an initial freebie but if you don't cancel within a specific time-frame, you will be billed.
- Some companies that offer legitimate freebies may have several pages of ads before you actually get to a confirmation page. They put these ad pages up in hopes you will find something interesting on them. Make sure you always select "No" or "Pass" on these offers so you do not end up receiving unwanted material. Also selecting those options will not affect you getting your freebie.
One final tip, a tip that should be common knowledge, a no brainer: if it sounds to go to be true, it is. Websites offering free Laptops, Ipods/Ipads are, most likely, not telling you everything. To get these free item, if you can get them at all, will cost you big money. You'll have to "participate" (read:purchase) in several offers before you have the chance to get a "free" item.
If you have any tips of tricks you would like to see added, please leave us a comment below. Now go out and find some freebies!